Well, I’ve finally decided to give the NaNoWriMo a go. I’m hoping this will give me a boost in finishing the third book in the Sleeping Legion Series. It is tentatively titled Operation Breakout, but that is mostly a placeholder. I just created an account, under the name Porkchop NCR, and set up my account. If you plan on participating, feel free to add me as a writing buddy. I can also be found in the Hampton Roads Region of the wild world of Ye Olde Face Page! As for the name, Porkchop was my call sign in Iraq and NCR is the universe I want to write my own stories in some day. I think that the booze might have contributed, just a wee bit, to it becoming my official username but once you set it up you’re stuck with it. Otherwise, you close your account and start a new one and it didn’t seem worth it.
My Book Blurb: (Subject to change)
This is the third installment in the Sleeping Legion Series, written in Tim C. Taylor’s Human Legion Universe. The dust has settled and the main arm of the Human Legion have left the Tranquility System. Not all was as it seemed, however, as Marines were left abandoned, forgotten and alone. Then the Legion wakes up, secures a new home and now must engage in a desperate struggle to wrest control of the Tranquility System from the Hardit New Order. To make matters worse, they have enemies within the ranks and a hostile human force at their backs. Can Serendine be secured before they face a war on two fronts?
1) Figure out your basic plot idea or question.
2) Think about where this question would end, where is the logical conclusion?
3) Outline the main points of the novel.
4) Bulk up the outline to include the minor plot arcs and sub plots
- I found that adding character arcs to this helpful as well.
5) Give the outline time to percolate (i.e. don’t wait until the last minute).
6) Work on any world building that needs to be done, or would help you write more efficiently.
7) Talk to your family and friends, let them know you might become a hermit for 30 days or so! Hey, MAYBE you’ll come up for air on Turkey Day!! That’s Thanksgiving for you non-Muricans!
NaNoWriMo Personal Growth Goals:
1) Increase my daily word count.
2) Become more disciplined with my daily writing, separate from the other stuff we do as writers. (Blog, marketing, networking, etc.)
3) This should help me come out of my hermit cave and stick my toe into the ocean that is the writing community.
Overall Goals for Event:
1) Make a substantial dent into book three, and hopefully write all 90,000 words of it.
2) Have something I can send to my editor so I finish my third novel before 2016 ends.
3) Have fun writing and never lose sight of WHY I tell the stories.
4) Make a point to blend this intense writing excursion with daily exercise so I become a healthier me!
Want advice from others who’ve been there and done that? Look no further! I’ll link to only a few helpful vlogs because otherwise you’ll never stop watching…. and we’re here to write peeps!
So, that’s MY NaNoWriMo story…. What will yours be? Will you join me ? Friend me so we can bust each other’s balls when we slack off?
EDIT: One of my writing buddies is looking to add people as well. Feel free to add your fellow WordPress Blogger, mrswintheiser.